PRIME Research PR-ROI Quarterly
Welcome to the third edition of the PRIME Research PR-ROI Quarterly, a digest for communications professionals interested in proving and improving the value of corporate and brand reputation. In each issue, we offer thought leadership, news, and guidance to help you achieve your communications objectives. In this edition, we begin with a brief video perspective from PRIME CEO Mark Weiner, who shares his thoughts on one of PR’s most vexing challenges: connecting public relations activity with business performance.
You’ll also have the opportunity to read about engagement and high-volume media analysis, and to view a best-practice case study. We welcome your input! If you’d like to contribute, or to learn more about any topic below, feel free to contact us.
PRIMEChats: Better Insights. Better PR-ROI.
Speaking at the annual Institute for Public Relations | PRIME Research Strategic Communications and Research Conference in New York City earlier this year, PRIME CEO and IPR Trustee Mark Weiner shared his experiences connecting public relations with meaningful business outcomes.
“Many professional communicators wrongly assume that making the ‘PR-to-outcomes’ connection must be too complicated and too expensive,” Weiner told attendees; as you’ll discover in this video interview, nothing could be further from the truth.
3. Public Relations: the Corporate Sword and Shield
Mark Weiner, CEO of PRIME Research LP
People now have unprecedented levels of access to information that is readily obtainable anytime, anywhere. This profusion of information – some of which is true, and some not so true — presents an increased need to process, understand, and act upon the opinion-shaping material which influences stakeholders, the marketplace and society in general. In this context, public relations functions as both sword and shield for corporate reputation.
4. Engagement, Engagement, Engagement
Nadin Vernon, Strategy Consultant PRIME Research UK
Today’s online decision-making can be an overwhelming experience: Whether you consume a lot or a little, or are looking for a product, a service or an experience, a plethora of choices complicates our ability to reach a verdict.
How do we, as modern savvy consumers – more informed and empowered than ever – decide what, and with whom, to invest our precious time?
5. Managing Mountains of media monitoring data with IBM Cloud
Thomas Leitner, Vice President PRIME Research Germany
PRIME’s Thomas Leitner, writing for IBM’s cloud computing blog, details how PRIME works with IBM to provide clients with better and more reliable cloud services.
6. Case Study – Honda
Award-winning case study of how strategic excellence supported the successful launch of the Honda HR-V.
As evidenced in this case study of Honda’s pre-launch planning and post-launch evaluation of the introduction of the HR-V in 2015, Public Relations makes meaningful and quantifiable contributions to sales. Media analysis conducted before, during and after the launch ensured that media relations activity was successful, but more importantly, demonstrated PR’s role in driving business outcomes. Crucially, earned media was almost exclusively responsible for sales results. In this case, an absence of competing marketing activity prior to the launch coupled with the absence of inventory in dealer showrooms, Public Relations was the only way to explain the volume of sales during the launch period (50% of the annual goal). The Input, Output, Outtake, Outcome model proved how Public Relations research applied for planning, strategy, tactics and evaluation reduce risk and enhance the likelihood of success in optimizing sales.
7. Around the Web
Selections of Interest to Data-Minded PR Execs
- Your Data Are Probably Biased And That’s Becoming A Massive Problem (Inc.com)
- Open-sourcing data will make big data bigger than ever (ZDNet.com)
- TechRepublic has published a study that serves as a snapshot of companies’ relationship with big data in 2017 (TechRepublic.com)
- Social’s Tipping Point Of Data Accessibility Is Here (AdAge.com)
8. PRIME News:
- Manuela Schreckenbach transferred from PRIME’s US research hub in Ann Arbor, Michigan to PRIME’s UK research hub in Oxford. Manu now leads the UK business along with Nadin Vernon and Diego Bironzo.
- PRIME’s newest office in Menlo Park, California taps into the region’s tech savvy and spirit of innovation.
- PRIMEChat, a monthly video chat presented in collaboration with the Institute for Public Relations will feature research innovator Allyson Hugley, president of Weber Shandwick’s Measurement and Analytics practice. Scheduled for November 27 at 1pm, you can Register here!.